December 17, 2018
Sometime we get a project so special, it deserves its own post. Fort Vancouver, just across the Columbia River from us, is a national historic site. Practically every elementary school child in Portland and Vancouver has visited there. From its founding as a Hudson Bay Trading Company hub to its US Army training facility, locals know and love the popular field trip destination.
Fewer folks know that it was also one of the headquarters for the 1930's Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The CCC was a public work relief program that operated from 1933-1942. It employed young (17-28), unmarried men to work on construction projects throughout the country. Locally, the CCC built many landmark structures in Oregon including Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood.
Fort Vancouver was a staging post for material to be used in CCC projects. The railroad depot was built to accommodate large, heavy loads. As a consequence, the material that was recovered from this project is particularly beefy. The floor support beams are 4x10! We also have 1x12, 1x6 T&G and 2x6 T&G.
After being denailed and kiln dried, the material is now on in the warehouse. It won't last long and once it's gone, it's gone. Reclaim a piece of Northwest history!
The depot was deconstructed by our friends and partners at Lovett Deconstruction.